Skip to main content

A Beautiful Day


It was just like any other day. Life was withering out shuttling between office and home. Every day I start with thinking to do something diferent, crazy, but status quo prevails.I can feel the emptiness of the routine chores. Life has become so mechanised that I couldn't even enjoy the simple delights, life can offer. Tension & stress has become natural state of mind, calmness and peace have become visitors.

It was a fine morning, I was off to office just like any other day. I took a good look around. People were still jogging inside the park. Trees and shrubs were fresh as dew. Squirells running around the footpath. Birds were making loud noises, as if we humans were not the only one, they too were busy on a morning. Nature was beautiful and fantastic as ever. No one could match her beauty. I have to walk to reach metro station. Somebody called my name fom across the road, It was Dev. I waved at him and signalled at my watch that I m already late for office. Suddenly I was blocked by an old man, who has a rugged look. From his looks he might be from village. His eyes were weary and lips were cracked.He try to smile but his cracked open lips failed him. He said he was from village, for some construction work here in the city. But the man who promised him work, now turned his back on him.And from yesterday onwards he hadn't had anything to eat. He needed some money to get him going. He looked at me expectantly touching his abdomen.

I started to walk away from that man as if he was invisible to me. But suddenly something stopped me, then I took out my wallet and gave that old man a 50 rupees note. He said "Thanks" and smiled showing the gaped tooth, and walked away. Dev came running towards me. Why did you give him money ? He just don't seemed genuine, you are so naive. I put my arm across Dev's shoulder and said,
I did this b'coz, this is how I am. May be he was genuine or may be just like you said, he was not. But that does't matter. It's not about him, it's about me. I helped him b'coz I felt like helping him and that made me happy. Yes the world is bad and might take advantage of me, but I don't care. You can call me dumbly optimistic as I would like to see the goodness in every one. I would like to think, what if he was genuinely in trouble and I didn't help him, even after I got the chance ? That's something which is gonna hurt my consciousness. So I am sorry my friend if I dissappointed you”
I started walking towards metro station, but this time with a smile on my face. I felt pride and peace inside. A moment of joy. I felt like today I have done some thing that makes sense. These small things make our lives worth living. You don't have to be a Gandhi or Mother Teresa to be good to others. Just take a good look around and open your eyes.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The bloodsucking Yakshi

When I was a kid, April and May fell in the list of my favourite months. Not because it's going to rain and there would be mud all around, but those are the months my cousins would be here at our family house, in our hometown in Kerala. Those are the memories I would cherish forever. My grand-mother has 5 offsprings, 4 boys and a girl. My father is the second eldest of five. Then, he was the only one staying in Kerala and everyone else was in different parts of India, a Pan-India Family one could say. We were all present, it's like Parliament, shouting, laughing, scolding children, people everywhere, busy doing their chores. An outsider entering the home can still go unnoticed. Life was less complicated then. We were just ........just ourselves. Everyone you valued dearly is with you. It's like, the world has shrunken to a square block of bricks and mortar. Now it's all feel like a fairy-tale, one of the best things about joint-family. We are all tired of day's

THE EPIC - where to draw the line?

India is the land where history and myth get intertwined in such a way that you cannot say which is which. One of India's gift to the world of literature is her majestic epical wonder " Mahabharata ", attributed to some one(might be one person or many) called Vyasa or Vyas ( Ved Vyas ) which literally means one who dissected 'Veda' (religious and philosophical writings of Hindu religion). Research on this great epic revealed that many appendage had been done to the original text , before it became whole. Mahabharata's impact on Indian psyche is so profound that people consumed every word of it as such.  Characters were being worshipped as role models, like modern day Bollywood stars. As the generations passed by, line which divides the story and reality started blurring. Stories told and retold, appended stories that were not present at the beginning happened, kind of regional versions. Many dynasties and empires came and gone everyone tried to leave t

Dream Catcher

Baby was cooing subtly while lying in her bed. Her eyelids are twitching quickly, and she seems fidgety. making tiny noises as though she's dreaming. Her tiny, chubby arms and legs are up in the air, perhaps grasping for something. "Don't worry, little one" a cool breeze swept the room, whispering softly to the baby. The dream-catcher that was hanging on the door began to cling to the wind. Baby's face is now serene. Her tiny legs and limbs are now at rest. She let out a small smile and a chuckle. She is enjoying her dream. She can hear dream-catcher singing to her. "   Oh.. creator of this  mighty   universe,      Please watch over her in your righteous way.      Be with her now, and guard her smile for eons to come   "